2015年11月11日星期三

Vocabulary

Mannequin(n).  a life-size dummy used to display clothes
A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.
Second-hand(adj) an intermediate person; used in the phrase `at second hand'
To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price, and I was careful not to use too many notebooks.
Animatedly(adv). in an animated manner
Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
Faltered(v.) speak haltingly
"Marci"—Mrs. Gannon faltered—"I just want you to look pretty for your formal dinners at the dining hall.
Impulsive(adj) proceeding from natural feeling or impulse without external stimulus
She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive, but would say that it was okay.
You are a bit impulsive and head' strong at times, but you did well.
constrained(adj) lacking spontaneity; not natural
But maybe that was why I had wanted to leave home for a while; I had always felt constrained there.
Gregorian chant(n) liturgical chant of the Roman Catholic Church
A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.
pearl(n) smooth lustrous round structure inside the shell of a clam or oyster; much valued as a jewel
Next to the necklace was a shiny platinum pin in the shape of a wishbone, with a single pearl in its grasp.
elope(v) run away secretly with one's beloved
I just want to elope and get our lives started now!"
taciturn(adj) talkless
I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.
sobbed(v) cry
I sat, buried my face in my hands, and sobbed.
pouch(n) small or medium size container for holding or carrying things
In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.
listlessly(adv) in a listless manner
As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, "I love you, Sookan." She squeezed my hand.
hymn(n) a song of praise (to God or to a saint or to a nation)
I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
fainted(v) pass out from weakness, physical or emotional distress due to a loss of blood supply to the brain
She had fainted, and they found out it was a cerebral hemorrhage.

没有评论:

发表评论