2015年11月19日星期四

Gathering the Pearl

Jerry Wu
Ms.Guarino
English II
Nov.18.2015
Gathering the Pearls Review
Gathering the Pearls talked about a girl called Sookan who came to America to study. She was an international student, and her goal was to be successful. She spent most of the time doing scholarship in order to save some money, and she spent the rest of time studying. During the year, she still made a lot of friends and built up some good relationships though she was busy all the time. In the story, Sookan communicated with her family members through writing letters. She had a good relationship with her mom, and she always told her mother what was happening in the school. Her mom was very special, that she never complained about hardships. She did not want to give her children pressure. She supported Sookan to achieve her dream. Another person who kept in track with Sookan was her sister. Different as Sookan's mom, Sookan's sister wanted to control Sookan's mind, she want Sookan to be as a nun like her. She disagreed with Sookan’s goal. She always told Sookan do not get too much influence by American Culture. Both Sookans mom and her sister cared about her, but in different ways. Besides her family, Sookan also made good friends such as Ellen and Marci. Ellen was a outgoing girl, but Marci was a little bit shy. Both of them influenced Sookan a lot.
I liked reading this novel, because novel was more interesting than a textbook. Moreover, the story it talked about was similar to my own experience. I am also a international student who studies in America. However, different from Sookans experience, my life here is easier and more relaxed. I do not need to do scholarship and study for most of my time. I make new friends here, and I enjoy staying with them and having fun. My favorite part of this story was what Sookan mom told her. As a mom, she understands her children. She said that in the story: Woman was like oysters, a woman can take a painful experience and enrich herself by creating something precious from that pain. Although Sookan had some hard time when she was at school, she never gave up as her mother told her. Now she created things that were important to her which were her friends and education. Same as Sookan, my mom also talked with me when I was in America. When I felt sad or met some problems, my mom always talked with me, and I felt better after talking with her and I will know what I should do.
If my friends want me to recommend some books to them, I will recommend this book to them. As a novel, this book talks about students life, it is interesting and attracts reader. The story was realistic and easy to understand and reader will learn something from it. For example, after I read this book, I knew that we should never give up when we meet something painful or hard. Through pain, we could make something important or precious for ourselves.

没有评论:

发表评论