2015年12月13日星期日

Writing Center Reflection

It is my third year at Cheshire Academy. During these two years, I heard about there is a place in our school called writing center. It is a place for student to edit their paper and get some advice for their writing assignment. I haven't been to the writing center before since I came to this school. Last Tuesday was my first time visit the writing center. The writing center located on the second floor in Humanity building. 
While I was visiting the writing center, I met Ms.Swift. She is the teacher who is responsible for the writing center. When I came inside to the writing center, I saw some familiar face. It looked like some of my classmates came to visit the writing center as the same time as me, and we were here for the same purpose. The reason why we were here is because our English teacher Ms.Guarino wanted us to come here in order to edit our diary entry. Although there were almost 6 people in the writing center, Ms.Swift was still very welcome and happy to help all of us. She walked around and looked at each of our paper carefully. She corrected some of the grammar mistakes of our diary entries. As there were so many people here, she could not take a look at all of our work specifically. She suggested us to read through our paper while she was working with another student. She said: If you read it all loud, you will find your mistakes. 
When I was reading my entry, as she had talked about, I found out a lot of spelling mistakes and tense mistakes. I realized that I need to fix a lot of mistakes before I finished it. I have a question which confuse me all the time: when I should use present tense and when I should use past tense. In order to avoid tense mistakes, I usually write the essay in the same tense. Between present and past tense I prefer to write in the past tense, because I felt like what I am writing about is always happen in the past. Then, I should use past tense. However, after I visited the writing center, Ms.Swift told us, when we should use past tense of present tense depends on the condition of the sentence. If the thing is still happening, we need to use present. If the thing was only happen in the past. Then we should use past tense. When we are writing a sentence, we need to always think about that if it is still happening or not.
Beside the tense problem, she told us. While you are writing a diary, you need to imagine that you are the character in the story. From that, we can make the store more realistic and attract reader to read. After that, she showed us some magazine which she like very much as example. She told us the best way to improve our writing skill was to read more books or magazine in English. Also watching some English movie was another good way to improve our English. She spent a long time talking about the magazine, how the article was strange and interesting which I did not get what she was talking about. Beside this, I learned a lot from this experience visit the writing center.

没有评论:

发表评论